The Pediatric Endocrinology Specialty Practice at Arnold Palmer Hospital offers state-of-the-art care for patients with growth and puberty disorders, diabetes and other conditions related to hormones and the endocrine glands that produce them. Specialized endocrine stimulation tests are carried out in a comfortable outpatient setting.
Comprehensive evaluations, treatment and management is provided for:
- Growth disorders including short stature
- Pubertal disorders (early or delayed)
- Thyroid disease (underactive and overactive)
- Adrenal disease including congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- Hypopituitarism and diabetes insipidus
- Disorders of sex development
- Ovarian and testicular dysfunction
- Diabetes mellitus: Types 1 and 2, and MODY
- Obesity, insulin resistance and dyslipidemia
- Vitamin D, calcium and metabolic bone disorders including rickets
- Specific genetic disorders including Turner syndrome and Prader-Willi syndrome
Endocrinology (Juvenile Diabetes)
The most common form of juvenile diabetes, Type 1, results from an autoimmune disease in which the body destroys insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. Insulin is required by the body to use glucose, the simple sugar that most foods are broken down into by our digestive system. Without insulin, the body starves to death. People with Type 1 diabetes must inject insulin. According to the National Institutes of Health, about 123,000 children in the United States under the age of 19 have Type 1 diabetes.
Arnold Palmer Hospital is fully equipped to treat juvenile diabetes and to train children to understand and manage their specific health concerns. The pediatric diabetes program consists of a multidisciplinary team including physicians, certified diabetes educators and nutritionists. We provide insulin injections education, educate the family as to the dietary needs of a diabetic, and work with your child to make them feel as comfortable with this condition as possible. Our physicians are board certified in pediatric endocrinology, have extensive clinical experience and have been consistently named to Orlando magazine's Best Doctors list.
We offer comprehensive individualized and intensive management of Type 1 diabetes mellitus using the latest diabetes technology including insulin pumps and continuous glucose sensors. Our team is attuned to the needs of children and adolescents with diabetes and provides a support group for their families.