Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac

Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that cause a rash in those allergic to them. This rash is caused by a chemical in the sap. About 50%-70% of people are sensitized to this chemical and are, therefore, allergic. Virtually everyone will eventually become sensitized if repeatedly exposed.

  • Causes

    The allergic reactions to poison ivy, oak, and sumac occur when sensitized people come in contact with urushiol oil. This oil is found in the roots, stems, leaves, and fruit of the plant. This oil is released if the plant is damaged or bruised.

    If not washed, oil from these plants may stay potent for years on clothing, tools, toys, and other lis, especially in dry conditions.

  • Definition

    Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that cause a rash in those allergic to them. This rash is caused by a chemical in the sap. About 50%-70% of people are sensitized to this chemical and are, therefore, allergic. Virtually everyone will eventually become sensitized if repeatedly exposed.

    Poison Ivy Rash
    Nucleus factsheet image
    Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.

  • Diagnosis

    Diagnosis of poison ivy, oak, or sumac is based on the presence of a characteristic itchy rash and possible exposure to plants containing urushiol oil.

  • Prevention

    To prevent a rash from poison ivy, oak, or sumac:

    • Learn what the plants look like and avoid all contact with them.
    • Never burn these plants.
    • Wear clothes that cover as much skin as possible when in wooded areas.
    • Bathe pets in soapy water if you think they have come in contact with one of these plants.
    • Wash any clothing or object that may have come in contact with these plants.

    • Use an over-the-counter medication (such as Ivy Block, Stokoguard [
      bentoquatam
      5%]). This may help prevent a rash if applied at least 15 minutes before exposure.

  • Risk Factors

    A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition. Sensitized people are at risk if they:

    • Work or play in wooded areas during the spring, summer, and fall
    • Touch pets or animals that have come in contact with these plants
    • Handle clothes or objects that have come in contact with these plants
    • Are exposed to the smoke of these plants if they are burned

  • Symptoms

    The main symptom of poison oak, ivy, or sumac is an intensely itchy, red rash. The rash appears within 24-72 hours of exposure to the oil. The rash often appears streaked and may develop into oozing blisters. The oozing material will not sensitize others.

    The skin rash may cause discomfort. It is not serious, though, and usually resolves on its own in 1-2 weeks. However, you should contact a doctor right away if you are highly sensitive or have the following symptoms:

    • Swelling of the face or throat
    • Rash on the genitals
    • Swelling or rash that covers more than one third of your body
    • Rapidly spreading rash
    • Signs of a bacterial infection, such as pain, increased redness, or pus

  • Treatment