Varicose veins are enlarged and swollen veins. They can occur anywhere in the body, but are particularly common in the surface veins in the legs.
Veins have one way valves to channel blood back to the heart. Varicose veins develop when the valves of the veins become damaged. This causes blood to pool in the veins, enlarging them and often making the veins just beneath the skin visible.
Varicose veins are enlarged and swollen veins. They can occur anywhere in the body, but are particularly common in the surface veins in the
Varicose Veins Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done. Varicose veins can be easily seen. An ultrasound
exam of your legs may also be done.
Varicose veins can't be completely prevented, especially if they run in your family. The following recommendations may help:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly
- Try to avoid
standing or sitting for long periods of time.
- Try to avoid crossing your legs for long periods of time while sitting
- Keep your legs elevated when resting
- Consider wearing support hose
Varicose veins are more common in women who are of childbearing age and older. Other factors that increase your chance of getting varicose veins include:
- Family members with varicose veins
Hormonal changes, as with puberty, pregnancy, or
- Pressure on the veins of the pelvis, as with pregnancy
- Job that requires you to sit or stand
for long periods of time without much movement
Varicose veins may cause:
- Enlarged, twisted, and swollen veins that are visible through the skin
- Achy, tired, heavy feeling in the area of the varicose veins or generally in the legs, especially after standing
- Leg cramps
- Burning or throbbing pain in the legs
- Swollen legs
In severe cases, varicose veins may cause skin changes. These changes occur under the area of the varicose veins and include:
- Sores that are difficult to heal
Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Options may include one or more of the following: