- All residents are required to complete a quality improvement project during their training. Residents present their project(s) formally during their PL-3 year.
- Examples of recent resident QI projects include:
- Increasing breast feeding rates through prenatal visits and Wish List utilization
- Facebook anticipatory guidance in the clinic
- Creating a sickle cell anemia action plan
- Increasing medical education through competitive gain
- Optimizing the dose of hydroxyurea in sickle cell patients
- Education to ensure correct and safe transfusions of blood products
- Communication after short gastroenterology procedures
- Making the outpatient EMR more user-friendly
- Improving translation services in continuity clinic
- Screening for non-accidental trauma in the pediatric ED
- Improving dental health in the continuity clinic
- Improving circumcision education for parents in the nursery
Residents are encouraged to pursue clinical research, present their findings at national and local conferences, and publish manuscripts.
Recent resident research projects have been presented at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference, Society of Critical Care Medicine Annual Congress, North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Annual Meeting, and American Thoracic Society Conference.