This is surgery of the abdominal wall and intestines. An opening is made into the intestines to drain the contents out or put in a feeding tube. The IntestinesCopyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Call Your Doctor
Call your doctor if any of these occur:
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any discharge from the stoma site
- Pus or yellow/green discharge from the incision
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Severe abdominal pain
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Pain and/or swelling in your feet, calves, or legs
- Pain, burning, urgency, frequency of urination, or blood in the urine
- Blood in your stool, or black, tarry stools
- If you had a feeding tube placed, food cannot pass through the tube
- The tube comes out or leaks
- If you had an ostomy bag placed, and there is no stool collecting in the bag.
If you think you have an emergency, call for medical help right away.
This is surgery of the abdominal wall and intestines. An opening is made into the intestines to drain the contents out or put in a feeding tube.
The Intestines Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
What to Expect
Reasons for Procedure
This surgery is done when a new exit for intestinal or fecal matter is needed. It may be needed when feces can no longer travel through the bowels and out the anus.
An enterostomy may also be needed when food can no longer enter the mouth or stomach normally. In this case, a feeding tube will be placed to help food enter the intestines.
Problems from the procedure are rare, but all procedures have some risk. Your doctor will review potential problems, like:
- Blood clots
- Skin irritation around the stoma from leaking digestive fluids
- Intestinal obstruction
- Hernia the at surgical site
- Blockage or leakage of the tube, requiring replacement
- Adverse reaction to the anesthesia
Before your procedure, talk to your doctor about ways to manage factors that may increase your risk of complications such as:
- Chronic diseases, such as diabetes or obesity