- Expect the unexpected. Don’t expect the mass casualty to go exactly like the drills — be flexible. Even though the ED may have experienced two distinct waves of patients, the Blood Bank continuously supported existing patients as the second wave came.
- Have a staff communication plan that will work at any time. This mass casualty occurred during the shift of lowest staffing levels.
- Ensure there is a clear communication plan between the Blood Bank and ED.
- Make sure that each shift has a call list with updated phone numbers available.
- Provide routine updates to the staff so they are aware of the situation.
- Have a plan for back-up staff coverage, depending on the length of the event.
- Have a defined contact in the Emergency Department.