Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Active Time: 30 minutes
Active Time (mins): 30
Total Time: 30 minutes
Kale is simmered with leeks and garlic then “creamed” with flour and milk in this healthy take on creamed spinach. Serve alongside steak or roast chicken and a baked potato.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced leek, white and light green parts only
- 12 cups chopped kale or collards (about 1 large bunch)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4-3/4 cup water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add greens, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until very soft, 10 to 20 minutes, adding water 1/4 cup at a time if the greens start to stick. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in milk and nutmeg (if using); cook, stirring, until just starting to boil and thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Trim leeks, split lengthwise and wash in plenty of water until no grit remains.
Per serving: 159 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (275% daily value), Vitamin C (272% dv), Calcium 29% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (15% dv).
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.