Roasted Salmon and Butternut Squash Salad
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 4 oz. salmon & 2 cups salad
Active Time: 30 minutes
Active Time (mins): 30
The natural sweetness of the squash is amplified by a maple syrup-spiked dressing in this hearty salmon salad. Serve with crusty garlic bread and a glass of Beaujolais wine.
- 1 16-ounce package diced peeled butternut squash
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 5-ounce package arugula
- 3 cups chopped red cabbage
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, for 15 minutes.
- Push the squash to one side of the pan and line the empty side with foil. Place salmon on the foil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Continue roasting until the squash is tender and the salmon is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with vinegar, maple syrup and mustard in a large bowl. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Add arugula, cabbage and the squash to the large bowl and gently toss. Serve the salad topped with the salmon and drizzled with the reserved dressing.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Precut butternut squash is usually sold in a 16-ounce package diced squash (3 cups of 1/2-inch pieces) or a in a 20-ounce package of large cubes (5 cups of 1- to 2-inch pieces). If you can only find the larger cubes for this recipe, cut them into 1/2-inch dice before cooking and measure out about 3 cups. Or, you can prep your own diced squash from a whole, peeled and seeded butternut squash.
Per serving: 422 calories; 23 g fat (4 g sat, 15 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 31 g protein; 4 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 1210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (274% daily value), Vitamin C (101% dv), B12 (100% dv), Potassium (35% dv), Magnesium (27% dv), Folate (23% dv), Calcium 20% dv), Omega-3s.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.