Yield: 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups stew & 1 cup noodles each
Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups stew & 1 cup noodles
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 1/4 or 8 1/4 hours
Total Time (mins): 255
To Make Ahead: Prep vegetables and turkey; cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day.
Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
A split turkey breast is a terrific cut to use in this healthy slow-cooker recipe for turkey stroganoff because it stays moist. Here turkey breast is cooked in the crock pot with lots of mushrooms and carrots, then pulled off the bone, chopped and stirred back into a creamy sauce. If you can’t find a split turkey breast, try this recipe with bone-in chicken breasts. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles, on mashed potatoes or even thick slices of toasted whole-grain country bread.
- 8 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (about 20 ounces)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 3- to 4-pound split turkey breast, skin removed, trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles (6 cups dry), cooked
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Combine mushrooms, carrots and onion in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add turkey, meat-side down. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours (or on Low for 8 hours).
- Transfer the turkey to a cutting board.
- Whisk sour cream, flour and sherry in a bowl. Stir into the slow cooker along with peas, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on High until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the turkey from the bone and cut into bite-size pieces; cover to keep warm. When the sauce is done, gently stir in the turkey. Serve over noodles, sprinkled with parsley.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Use dry sherry instead of “cooking sherry” in recipes calling for sherry. It adds depth of flavor to sauces and stews like stroganoff, without adding the extra salt that’s typically in cooking sherry. Look for dry sherry with other fortified wines at your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 437 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 110 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 46 g protein; 7 g fiber; 526 mg sodium; 865 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (118% daily value), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin C (21% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Iron (18% dv), Folate (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.