Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: about 2/3 cup
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
This Finnish whipped berry pudding recipe has a unique, light and airy texture. Unlike American-style puddings made with milk, eggs and cornstarch, this is made with fruit juice, thickened with wheat farina and then lightened by beating air into it until the texture is reminiscent of marshmallow fluff. Traditionally made with lingonberry or cranberry juice, here fresh blueberries are cooked with water and the juice is strained to flavor the pudding. If you want to use bottled juice instead, skip Step 1 and use 3 to 3 1/2 cups of warm juice in Step 2.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups blueberries (about 1 pint), plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup wheat farina (not instant)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine water and blueberries in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Strain the blueberries, pressing on the solids; you will have 3 to 3 1/2 cups blueberry juice. (Discard the solids.)
- Rinse the saucepan and return the juice to it. Stir in farina, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until the mixture has thickened slightly, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the farina mixture to a stand mixer and beat with the whisk attachment on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to high and beat until doubled in volume, with a texture similar to fluffy marshmallow, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Serve garnished with blueberries, if desired.
Per serving: 152 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrate; 19 g added sugars; 23 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 47 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (24% daily value)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving(s)
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.