Researches, Scholarly Activities and Awards 2016-2017
- Esber Z, Jacobson S, Vollenweider M, Khan R. ID 5933 Use of Multiplex PCR Diagnostic Kit to Identify Viral Respiratory Tract Infection(RTI) Pathogens in Hospitalized Patients Led to Reduced Antibiotic Usage and Mechanical Ventilator Days. ATS International Conference. May 2017.
- Esber Z, Bryant K, Jones T, Khan R. Diagnosis and Comorbidities of Viral Respiratory Tract Infections in Hospitalized Patients: A Tertiary Hospital Experience. ATS International Conference. May 2017.
- Umair Tariq MD, … Rumi Khan MD Delay in Initiation of Hypothermia and High Rate of Hyperthermia After Completion of Targeted Temperature Management in Patients with Cardiac Arrest in a Tertiary Hospital ICU, ATS Annual Conference Washington DC May 2017
- Esber Z, Albadawi E, Jacobson S, Bryant K, Vollenweider M, Khan R. Use of Multiplex PCR Diagnostic Kit to Identify Viral Respiratory Tract Infection(RTI) Pathogens in Hospitalized Patients Led to Reduced Antibiotic Usage and Mechanical Ventilator Days. Quality Retreat. Orlando. March 2017.
- Umair Tariq MD, … Rumi Khan MD Delay in Initiation of Hypothermia and High Rate of Hyperthermia After Completion of Targeted Temperature Management in Patients with Cardiac Arrest in a Tertiary Hospital ICU, . Quality Retreat. Orlando. March 2017.
- Esber Z, Jacobson S, Bowman M. Comparison of Treatment Outcomes between Minocycline, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX) and Fluoroquinolone (FQ) Monotherapy for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia Infections. Presentation number 2028. At New Orleans Convention Center Poster Hall, Louisiana. October 2016.
- Umair Tariq MD, …Rumi Khan MD Critical Cerebral Vasospasm Due to Post-Surgical Hemorrhage After Transsphenoidal Resection of a Pituitary Macroadenoma, ATS Annual Conference, Washington DC, May 2017
- Esber Z, Santora J. An Unusual Suspect Found Way Off The “Beating” Path. Presentation number 1648. At the 2017 Critical Care Congress in Honolulu, Hawaii. January 2017.
- Bednov B, Esber Z, Montalvo F. Bronchial Diverticula: An unusual case of chronic hemoptysis in a 50 year old non smoking male. ACP Florida Chapter. March 2017.
- Castaneira G, Esber Z, Salazar D, Parellada J. An unusual case of HSV-2 encephalitis in a patient with gliosarcoma. ACP Florida Chapter. March 2017.
- E. Albaddawi, Z. Esber, J. Wright, Rumi A. J. Khan. High use rate of chest imaging in hospitalized patients and its dramatic increase with length of Stay (LOS)
- Z Esber, Kyle Rohde, … R A Khan A novel rapid diagnostic tool for detection and differentiation of Non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM)
Submitted Case Reports:
- Z Esber,… R Khan A Rapidly progressive fatal case of Kaposi’s Sarcoma
- Z. Esber…R Khan Massive hemoptysis due to bronchial diverticular bleed which was successfully treated with fibrin Glu
Case Reports Submitted in BMJ Case Reports:
- E Albaddawi, Z. Esber… R Khan Peanut Aspiration in Adult mimicking Lung Cancer and resultant Squamous Metaplasia
Fellows Research Grants Applied For:
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Clinical Fellows research Grant – Z Esber and R Khan in Collaboration with Orlando Health Foundation, Dr. Kyle Rohde, UCF School of Biomedical Science.
- American Thoracic Society ATS BEAR (Building Education to Advance Research) Cage competition - Zahia Esber
Ongoing Research projects – IRB approved and pending IRB-
- Usage and comparative benefit of Catheter Assisted Thrombolysis Treatment of Acute Pulmonary Embolism
- Incidence and comparative outcome of lower GI bleed vs upper GII bleed in a tertiary medical center
- Temperature trend and control after completion of targeted temperature management in patients with cardiac arrest
- A Study of the newly commissioned molecular diagnosis of respiratory viral infection - the analysis of infection pattern and impact on antibiotic use and other outcome variables
Orlando Health Outstanding Research Fellow Award – Zahia Esber MD June 2017