The ERAS application is considered complete when the personal statement, USMLE Step I and II scores, three letters of recommendation, medical school transcripts and Dean's Letter have been received.
Applicants must be invited before an interview can be scheduled. Interviews generally take place between November and January. The Department of Surgical Education and Orlando Health participates and complies fully with the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) rules and regulations. All available positions are for the standard July through June residency period. The Department of Surgical Education does not sponsor/accept Visas.
ERAS application forms for the general surgery residency program are accepted September 1 through October 31 each year.
Orlando Health Department of Surgical Education 86 W. Underwood Street ~ Suite 201 Orlando, Florida 32806 Phone: (321) 841-5142
For a copy of Orlando Health's Resident Manual please click here.
- Orlando Health offers its residents a comprehensive benefits package. The following is a summary of the various house staff benefits offered at Orlando Health for General Surgery Residents. Salary rates for residents are reassessed every year. Each annual evaluation usually results in a salary increase.
- Educational Funding/Books, copy of ABSITE book provided for all interns.
- Personalized lab coats are provided each year.
- Annual American College of Surgeons (ACS) Meeting for designated chief residents.
- Additional funding is provided for regional and national conferences when a resident presents original research.
- All interns attend ATLS and FCCS Courses during orientation.
- Subscription to Journal of American College of Surgeons.
- Vacation: 3 weeks of unscheduled vacation. In addition to one week during either Christmas or New Years.
- Free secure covered parking just steps away from the hospital main entrance.
- Free meals are provided while in house 24 hours a day/7 days a week via meal stipend.
- Retirement Account: Employer-sponsored retirement savings accounts available.
- Health Care Coverage.
- Healthchoice PPO.
- Multiple Dental Coverage Options.
- Vision Program.
General Surgery Residency Medical Student Rotations
Fourth year medical students are welcome to apply for an away rotation here at Orlando Health. The rotation positions are filled on a first come first serve basis. Rotations provide an opportunity for students to learn, gain information about our program and interact with the trauma team members. Students who are interested in rotation at Orlando Health can choose between Acute Care Surgery or Surgical Intensive Care Unit. Rotators are expected to take call, round on patients, see new consults and/or hospital admissions and participate in operative cases and trauma alerts. Each morning rotating students meet at morning sign out before attending conference or participating in operative cases. Housing and food arrangements are available for rotating students.
For questions or more information regarding General Surgery Residency Program, General Surgery Fellowship opportunities please email us or call 321-841-5142: