COVID-19 is a viral infection that spreads by respiratory droplets or contact. It can live on surfaces for a few hours and up to several days, depending on the surface type. The virus can be killed by regularly cleaning surfaces in and around your home with the right disinfectant products. This greatly reduces the risk of transmission. To ensure your home is disinfected and safe from outside germs, follow these important tips and recommendations.
5 Steps to Ensure Your Home Remains Clean and Disinfected
COVID-19 is transmitted by a virus through respiratory droplets and can live on contact surfaces for hours or even days. By using the right products and cleaning regularly, the virus can be easily killed, which greatly reduces the risk of transmission.
Here are 5 steps to ensure your home remains clean and disinfected:
- Step 1: Identify high-touch hard surfaces in your home, such as tables, countertops, light switches, faucets, doorknobs, refrigerator handles, computers and TV remotes. The more often the space is used or touched, the more frequently it needs to be wiped down. At a minimum, these surfaces should be wiped down daily. When in doubt, wipe it down!
- Step 2: Put on reusable or disposable gloves. Be sure to always wear gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces.
- Step 3: Visibly dirty surfaces should be cleaned with soap and water before you disinfect.
- Step 4: Disinfect all hard surfaces using an EPA-approved disinfectant, or a bleach solution of 1/3 cup of bleach for each gallon of water. It’s important to start cleaning top to bottom to avoid cross contamination.
- Step 5: Remove your gloves and wash your hands.
Together with frequent and proper handwashing, regularly cleaning surfaces will reduce the spread of COVID-19.