Spiritual Care Volunteers Needed
Spiritual Care VolunteerAre you active in your faith community but still want to reach out to others? Do you have lay ministry or Stephen Ministry training? Do you want to help the people in your community in a meaningful and compassionate way? If you said yes to any of those questions, Orlando Health would like you to consider being a Spiritual Care volunteer!
Beginning in the 1980s, the Spiritual Care Department began with one chaplain in the Trauma Center. Since that time, the clinicians have recognized the positive contribution made by chaplains as members of the healthcare team. Chaplains journey along side others to help them carry their pain and access their source of hope.
Today, the Spiritual Care Volunteer Program consists of 125 people of faith that support the work of the chaplains in a variety of ways. Won’t you join us?
- Spiritual Care Volunteer
- Escorting loved ones to the bedside in the Intensive Care Units and the Emergency Department
- Visiting new patients in Cardiology, Neurology, Orthopedics and Oncology to introduce Spiritual Care services
- Knitting prayer squares and shawls to give to patients
- Providing a compassionate presence and listening ear to families in the Intensive Care and Cardiac Critical Care waiting rooms
- Sitting with actively dying patients who have no loved ones nearby
- Calling and/or visiting homebound patients affiliated with the Visiting Nurse Association, part of Orlando Health, to offer encouragement
- Baking goodies for staff appreciation events
- Providing clerical support for special projects
- Serving as greeters for special events like the Annual Ethics Symposium
The Application Process
- Call 321.843.1333 to request an application. Please leave your name, number and address. You will also need a reference from your spiritual leader or clergy person.
- Complete and return the application.
- Agree to a background check, drug testing and TST (TB screening).
- Schedule an interview with the Spiritual Care volunteer supervisor.
- Attend 12-hour training.
- Shadow an experienced volunteer.
- Volunteer with a commitment for a minimum of six months.
If you would like more information please contact, Phyllis Fitzwater, volunteer supervisor, at 321.843.1333.
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something, and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do something that I can do." – Edmund Everett Hale