ACGME Accredited Since 2012
EMS Physician Fellowship
The EMS System:
The Orange County EMS System is comprised of 8 ALS EMS agencies that participate in centralized medical direction. All together these agencies include approximately 2100 EMTs and paramedics, and respond to over 200,000 EMS calls per year. The community served by the OCEMS System consists of approximately 1.3 million permanent residents, and 68 million annual visitors. Areas of interest include a busy international airport, several of the world’s largest theme parks, and several collegiate and professional athletic stadiums.
The service delivery models represented within the system include seven fire-based agencies, and one private ambulance provider. The system aero-medical program providing scene responses is operated by Orlando Health.
System-wide medical direction is provided by the Orange County EMS Office of the Medical Director (OMD). Dr. Ralls and Dr. Zuver are full-time EMS physicians that oversee the day-to-day activities of the EMS office. In addition, Dr. Hunter, Dr Rodriguez, Dr Miller, and Dr. Van Dillen provide additional physician oversight of the system. The OMD also oversees the OCEMS On-line Medical Control base station.
The EMS Fellowship Faculty:
- George Ralls, M.D., FACEP
- Christian Zuver, M.D., FACEP
- Christopher Hunter, M.D., Ph.D.
- Christine Van Dillen MD, FACEP
- Alexa Rodriguez MD
- Stacie Miller MD
The EMS Fellow functions as an Assistant Medical Director. Given sufficient time to accommodate, the Fellow is expected to perform the following duties:
- Learn to be a diverse leader in EMS Medicine through participating in high fidelity simulation
- Provide assistance to the EMS Medical Directors in the areas of education, research, system development and quality improvement.
- Develop educational programs for EMS providers to help meet re-certification requirements.
- Respond to scenes and participate in the pre-hospital medical care of patients with provided EMS physician vehicle.
- Attend and/or carry out confidential case reviews and maintain confidential records as part of a quality improvement program.
- Participate in ongoing research projects or develop and complete individual scholarly projects.
- Participate in the education of EM residents during their EMS rotation.
- Participate in disaster planning and exercises.
- Respond to large-scale disasters as part of the Central Florida Urban Search and Rescue team.
- Participate in NAEMSP medical director course
- Attending FAEMSMD meetings
- Opportunity to train and fly with Aircare
The “EMS Physician Fellow” is a fully funded, full-time employment position with the Orange County Government. Clinical hours are not a component of the fellowship; clinical work is available in a variety of venues in Central Florida. Clinical hours should be limited to no more than 60 per month.
The OCEMS fellowship aspires to train competent, caring EMS physicians that will thrive in medical director or academic positions. In order to develop leaders, we will place a strong focus on junior faculty development, interpersonal skills, and participation in national meetings. We believe it’s imperative that that the fellowship adds to the growing literature creating the evidence-based practice that guides prehospital care, and will emphasize the production of quality research and peer-review publication.
Interested candidates should email a CV, 2 letters of recommendation and a letter of intent to [email protected] beginning March 1st through September 14th.
Only a selection of the applicants will be invited for an interview. Interviews will be scheduled from July 1-October 19th. Candidate will be ranked and submitted for NRMP Match and final selection will be revealed by November 14th . Time line is based on NRMP match requirements.
A letter of intent is statement that explains why you want to be an EMS physician and describes what your future career plans entail.
Letters of Recommendation: Does not need to be in the SLOE format. One LOR is required from EM program director
Requirements: Our fellowship only accepts EM board eligible physicians.