Following a traumatic or non-traumatic Spinal Cord Injury, many clients will require transitional care to inpatient rehabilitation before re-integrating back into the community. At Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical Center Institute for Advanced Rehabilitation, we are a CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) accredited program; providing comprehensive specialized care to meet the needs of patients with spinal cord injuries.
Upon admission, a team of highly specialized clinicians will work with both client and family to establish rehabilitation goals that will promote your loved one’s highest level of independence for successful community re-integration. Our interdisciplinary team consists of, but not limited to: Physiatrist, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Speech/Language Pathologist, Registered Nurse, Social Work, Nutritionist, Wound Care Specialist, Recreational Therapist, and Neuropsychologist. Clients admitted to ORHI will participate in intensive rehabilitation program for a minimum of 3 hours of therapy a day for least 5 days per week. In addition, client’s will have the opportunity to work with Recreational Therapy for pet assisted therapy and outings into the community for accessibility training. Our Neuropsychology team offers clients and families individualized therapy; as well as, in-patient and community Spinal Cord Injury support groups.
What our Inpatient SCI Program can offer you:
- Wheelchair Clinic: Seating Assessments, Pressure Mapping, Advancing Independence in Basic and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living
- Assistive Technology Professionals (ATP) are available to assist in determining best interfaces for computer, technology, environmental access; as well as, adaptive equipment needs for advancing independence in activities of daily living
- Overhead lift systems in every room
- Zero G™ Lite
- Biodex Gait Trainer System
- Bioness™ (Functional Electrical Stimulation for the upper and lower extremities)
- Airline Transfer Training
- Independent Living Apartment and Full Kitchen for community re-integration training
- Standing Frames
- Environmental Control Units/Systems
- Armeo™ Power System: Upper Body Robotic Exerciser
- Work Simulation
Once you have completed our inpatient SCI program, our Social Work team will work closely with you and your family on planning for discharge back into the community and back to life.
What our Outpatient SCI Program can offer you:
The outpatient Spinal Cord Injury Program (SCI) at Orlando Health Rehabilitation Institute provides expert comprehensive rehabilitation services. Our team utilizes a patient centered approach in order to provide the highest level of care for individuals to meet or exceed their rehabilitation goals. Our team has extensive knowledge in helping individuals improve their level of function following a traumatic or non-traumatic spinal cord injury after transitioning from an inpatient stay or even years after the initial diagnosis. Our service providers include Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology, and case management. Additional services include:
- Wheelchair seating clinic to include comprehensive assessment and Pressure Mapping
- Assistive Technology assessment and training
- NeuroCom Balance Master
- Bioness (Functional Electrical Stimulation for the upper and low extremities)
- RT 300 (Functional Electrical Stimulation bicycle and hand cycle)
- Standing Frames
- Lite Gait system
- Equalizer Strength Training System
- Bowel and Bladder training
- Driving Evaluations and training in use of adaptive driving hand controls
We work closely with specialists and physicians to include Neuropsychology and Wound management in order to maximize outcomes. Our patients work closely with our in house Spinal Cord Coordinator to assist with transitioning into the community and to provide support after discharge.