Interested in becoming a Spiritual Care Volunteer?
Are you active in your faith community but still want to reach out to others? Do you have lay ministry or Stephen Ministry training? Do you want to help the people in your community in a meaningful and compassionate way? If so, we urge you to consider becoming an Orlando Health Spiritual Care Volunteer.
Spiritual Care volunteers are individuals who serve at Orlando Health to enhance the spiritual care provided by our professionally trained chaplains. Volunteers are lay individuals (not chaplains), from diverse faith communities and backgrounds who provide a warm compassionate introduction to patients about Spiritual Care services available to every patient and family member. Our volunteers complement the work of our chaplains and provide a number of services.
- Be willing to make a commitment to volunteer for a period of six months to one year or at least 100 hours.
- Volunteers must be able to volunteer one day a week for four hours on the same day each week.
- Able to communicate well in English.
Due to the sensitivity and intensity of issues encountered in a hospital environment, comprehensive testing, training and orientation are provided for each of our applicants. As a result we require a significant commitment from our volunteers. To become part of our team, we ask the following:
- Accurately complete the entire application.
- Please be aware that we do not accept applications for court ordered community service hours.
- Successfully pass a Criminal Background Check.
- Attend an interview with a member of the Spiritual Care Team & Volunteer Services Team.
- Submit a reference/recommendation letter from your pastor/priest/rabbi/Imam or spiritual leader to [email protected]
- Visit our Occupational Health Office for TB and drug screening. These screenings will be done at no charge to you.
- Attend a 3-hour orientation session.
Processing time for applications can take from 3-5 weeks. Once your application has been processed, we will contact you to arrange an appointment for an interview.
To complete the online application, please click on the following link: