This breakfast casserole recipe from Allison Harrell, a registered dietitian at Orlando Health, makes a great, nutrient-filled start to the day! Swapping out the typical bread or crescent roll crust with sweet potatoes boosts the nutrient content and gives a beautiful splash of color to your dish.
• 1 sweet potato, grated
• ¾ pound lean ground sausage, cooked and broken up
• ¼ red onion, diced
• ½ green pepper, diced
• 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
• 8 eggs
• 4 egg whites
• 1 tablespoon milk
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place grated sweet potato on bottom of a 9x13 casserole pan.
3. Add the sausage, onion, pepper, mushrooms and cheddar cheese.
4. Whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk. Pour egg mixture evenly over top of casserole.
5. Bake 30 minutes until eggs are cooked through.
Nutritional per serving (makes 15):
Fat: 9g (Saturated: 3g)