Buttermilk Baked Chicken
This Buttermilk Baked Chicken recipe from Lauren Popek, a registered dietitian at Orlando Health, delivers flavor while also promoting a low-sodium diet.
• 12 4-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
• ½ cup flour
• 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
• ½ cup buttermilk
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 cups crushed corn flakes
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
• Parsley garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Lightly spray a roasting pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
2. Wash chicken breasts; pat dry with paper towels.
3. Measure the flour onto a plate.
4. Mix together the egg whites, buttermilk and mustard; whisk until smooth.
5. Place the corn flake crumbs in a medium mixing bowl and season with paprika and peppers.
6. Dip the chicken in the flour; coat well and shake off the excess.
7. Next dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then into the cereal crumbs, pressing to make the crumbs stick.
8. Place the chicken in the roasting pan. Bake uncovered without turning for 25-30 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 160° F.
9. Garnish with minced parsley.
Nutritional per serving (makes 12):