Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 40 minutes
Total Time (mins): 340
To Make Ahead: Once frozen, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 1 week. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
Equipment: 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish)
In this healthy ice cream pie recipe, crumbled gingersnaps make an easy and tasty crust for the blackberry and lemon filling made with nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt.
- 2 cups coarsely crumbled gingersnap cookies
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 cups blackberries, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
Filling & Topping
- To prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Process cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and process until well combined. Using your fingertips or the back of a spoon, press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake until just set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Whip cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until starting to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in yogurt.
- Clean out the bowl of the food processor and puree 2 cups blackberries. Pour the puree through a sieve into the yogurt-cream mixture, pressing on the solids to strain out as much of the puree as possible. Add lemon zest and gently fold the flavorings into the yogurt-cream mixture.
- Spread the flavored yogurt-cream mixture into the cooled crust. Top with the remaining 1 cup blackberries. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours. To serve, let the pie stand at room temperature until softened slightly, about 15 minutes, before slicing.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- For a healthier cookie crust, choose cookie brands without any partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats). We like Mi-Del ginger and chocolate snaps. Look for them in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets and at natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 279 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrate; 12 g added sugars; 17 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 117 mg sodium; 213 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value)
2 Carbohydrate Serving(s)
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 fat
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. EatingWell cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.