Recipe: Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 40 minutes
Total Time (mins): 340
To Make Ahead: Once frozen, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 1 week. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
Equipment: 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish)
In this healthy grasshopper mint and chocolate ice cream pie recipe, you’ll save about 150 calories and half the saturated fat per serving versus a traditional ice cream pie by using nonfat Greek yogurt and heart-healthy oil instead of butter.
- 2 1/4 cups coarsely crumbled chocolate snap cookies, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-4 drops natural green food dye
Filling & Topping
- To prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Process 2 cups crumbled cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and process until well combined. Using your fingertips or the back of a spoon, press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake until just set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Whip cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until starting to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in yogurt. Add peppermint extract and food dye and gently fold until evenly combined.
- Spread the flavored yogurt-cream mixture into the cooled crust. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup crumbled chocolate snaps. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours. To serve, let the pie stand at room temperature until softened slightly, about 15 minutes, before slicing.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- For a healthier cookie crust, choose cookie brands without any partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats). We like Mi-Del ginger and chocolate snaps. Look for them in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets and at natural-foods stores.
- Find green and other natural liquid food dyes in most natural-foods stores and at chocolatecraftkits.com.
Per serving: 277 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrate; 17 g added sugars; 19 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 136 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.