Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper half
Active Time: 40 minutes
Active Time (mins): 40
Total Time: 40 minutes
Total Time (mins): 40
The filling in this stuffed pepper recipe uses millet, which is naturally gluten-free and has a nutty corn flavor—plus it cooks quickly because of its small size. We like Asian-flavored baked tofu in this recipe, but you can choose your favorite flavor. Serve with roasted broccoli or asparagus drizzled with sesame oil.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup millet
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 4 ounces flavored baked tofu, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 teaspoons minced serrano or jalapeño pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Combine water and millet in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the millet is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bell pepper halves cut-side up in a broiler-safe pan. Bake until starting to soften, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Turn broiler to high.
- Combine tofu, carrots, cilantro, oil, tamari, chile pepper, garlic, ginger and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in the millet. Stuff each pepper half with about 1 cup of the mixture.
- Broil the peppers until heated through and the millet is starting to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
Per serving: 344 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrate; 1 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 413 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (167% dv), Folate (19% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.