Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 40 minutes
Total Time (mins): 340
To Make Ahead: Once frozen, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 1 week. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
Equipment: 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish)
In this healthy mocha chocolate ice cream pie recipe, crumbled chocolate cookies make an easy and tasty crust for the chocolate-coffee filling made with nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt topped with chocolate-covered espresso beans.
- 2 cups coarsely crumbled chocolate snap cookies
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso or coffee powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped
Filling & Topping
- To prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Process cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and process until well combined. Using your fingertips or the back of a spoon, press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake until just set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Whip cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until starting to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in yogurt.
- Combine water, cocoa powder and espresso (or coffee) powder in a small bowl; stir until the powders are dissolved. Gently fold the cocoa-espresso mixture into the yogurt-cream mixture.
- Spread the flavored yogurt-cream mixture into the cooled crust. Top with chocolate-covered espresso beans. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours. To serve, let the pie stand at room temperature until softened slightly, about 15 minutes, before slicing.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- For a healthier cookie crust, choose cookie brands without any partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats). We like Mi-Del ginger and chocolate snaps. Look for them in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets and at natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 289 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrate; 18 g added sugars; 20 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.