Recipe Pirate Marinade
Yield: 2 cups
Serving Size: 2 teaspoons
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time (mins): 30
This big, bold marinade works well on salmon, chicken, duck, pork, beef, lamb or extra-firm tofu.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 dashes hot sauce
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, brown sugar, allspice, pepper, thyme, cloves, cinnamon and hot sauce. Let cool to room temperature.
- Pour cooled marinade into a shallow dish or 1-gallon sealable plastic bag for marinating 1 to 2 pounds (4 to 8 servings) of your chosen protein.
Per serving: 19 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrate; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 66 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Nutrition Note: Based on Test Kitchen results, 2 teaspoons of marinade are absorbed per serving.
0 Carbohydrate Serving(s)
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.