Recipe: Roasted Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
Yield: 8 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Serving Size: about 3/4 cup
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Total Time (mins): 40
To Make Ahead: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with sherry-infused roasted mushrooms and tangy buttermilk. For a pretty presentation, serve garnished with snipped fresh chives.
- 5 cups chopped mixed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss mushrooms and shallots with oil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Roast until brown and caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with sherry. Stir well.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir buttermilk and pepper to taste into the mashed potatoes. Stir in the roasted mushrooms or spoon them over the potatoes.
Per serving: 228 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 728 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.