Recipe: Sweet & Sour Green Beans
Yield: 12 servings, 2/3 cup each
Serving Size: 2/3 cup
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Total Time (mins): 20
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate beans (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature while you prepare the dressing (Step 2).
This slightly sweet, slightly sour green bean recipe takes just a few minutes to make and is great served at room temperature. Make it ahead and let the green beans bathe in the dressing, soaking up flavor.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 ice cube
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fit a large pot with a steamer basket, add 1 to 2 inches water and bring to a boil. Add green beans, cover and steam until tender-crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in ice cube until it dissolves. Whisk in shallots, oil and salt.
- Transfer the green beans to a large bowl, pour the dressing over them and toss to coat.
Per serving: 71 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrate; 4 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.