Concerned about the possible nationwide French fry shortage on everyone’s mind? Freezing weather and smaller-than-usual potato crops make it a real possibility. If that happens (and even if it doesn’t), we do have other options.
Baked green beans, sweet potatoes and zucchini fries are wonderfully healthy alternatives to French fries. What’s more, green beans are rich in fiber and an incredible source of both vitamins C and A. Try them tonight!
Baked Green Bean Fries
1 lb green beans
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
½ cup Panko bread crumbs
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper, seasoned to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Prepare breading by combining Panko bread crumbs with grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper on one plate. Put the flour on a separate plate and the egg (beaten) in a medium bowl.
- Trim the ends off the green beans and rinse in water.
- Work in handfuls at a time. Coat the green beans in flour, dip them in egg, then toss in the Panko and Parmesan mix. Coat evenly.
- Transfer green beans to prepared baking sheet and bake until golden and crispy, about 12-15 minutes.
Choose to Stay in Touch
Sign up to receive the latest health news and trends, wellness & prevention tips, and much more from Orlando Health.Sign Up