Transitional Support for a Lifetime of Care
The Orlando Health Complex Care and Transition Program has been created to improve the healthcare for children and youth with special medical needs throughout their lifetime and especially as they transition from pediatric to adult care.
If you have a child with medical complexities, transitioning to adult care is a time when your child may experience the most significant gaps in care. A child with a complex condition risks falling off from receiving regular care once they reach adulthood and can no longer access the services within the pediatric system. The Complex Care and Transition Program connects the gap between pediatric and adult services to ensure they continue receiving care.
Our goal is to achieve integrated, patient- and family-centered care throughout a lifetime. We do this by providing enhanced coordination among all your child’s specialty care teams, working together with your family as well as community partners as needed. We can step in whenever needed to support your child. There is no official “cutoff” age, and we can begin care as early as discharge from the newborn nursery or neonatal intensive care unit.
The Only in Central Florida
Orlando Health is home to the only Complex Care and Transition Program in Central Florida. Because the Orlando Health network includes adult hospitals and care providers in the same network as our pediatric services, we are uniquely and well-positioned to provide your child with support for transitional care.
Services provided by the Complex Care and Transition Program include:
- Delivering primary care services including preventive healthcare, immunizations, well visits and physicals, and acute visits for illnesses and minor injuries
- Managing chronic illnesses
- Coordinating care with specialists, healthcare professionals and community partners, including home health agencies and Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care (PPEC) organizations
- Collaborating with appropriate teams to manage durable medical equipment and supplies
- Providing assistance in identifying decision-making supports, when applicable
- Supporting proactive care planning and shared decision-making
- Facilitating the planned, intentional transition from pediatric- to adult-oriented health systems
We are available to see your child both in person and via telehealth appointments.
- Primary Care Medical Home: The program provides primary care services for children and adults with medical complexities, including well-care visits, immunizations, acute visits for illnesses and minor injuries, management of chronic medical conditions, and care coordination.
- Complex Care and Transition Service: This consultative health service is for children who have an existing, community-based primary care provider and require increased care coordination to meet their medical needs and/or support their effective transition from pediatric- to adult-oriented healthcare systems.
- Integrated Care Clinic: Together with Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children Palliative Care, the program is focused on meeting the needs of children with complex, multisystem, chronic conditions.
Clinical and Office Staff
Camila da Silva, MSN, RN, Complex Care and Transition Coordinator