Orlando Health Advanced Rehabilitation Institute Opens New Freestanding Facility in Ocoee
To best meet the increasing need for rehabilitative care in Central Florida and beyond, the Orlando Health Advanced Rehabilitation Institute is opening a new, freestanding facility on the Orlando Health – Health Central Hospital campus in Ocoee. The building will open this month as a 54-bed inpatient facility, distinctively designed to provide high-quality post-acute care for patients requiring medical and rehabilitative services.
“Through a major renovation, we were able to tailor this space to set up our patients and talented interdisciplinary team for success,” said Orlando Health Advanced Rehabilitation Institute President Annette Seabrook. “We wanted to create an environment that has all the tools our patients need to feel confident when they head home.”
A few facility features include:
- All private patient rooms.
- Dedicated therapy space, including three therapy gyms, quiet areas for patients with brain injuries/strokes, bariatric access and an expansive outdoor space for additional therapeutic activity.
- Simulated apartment for activities of daily living, plus an additional training suite with four different home bathing designs.
- Gym with state-of-the-art rehabilitative equipment including body-weight-supported gait systems, robotics for training in arm/hand coordination and walking, and communication assistance technology.
- Specialty programs including Disorders of Consciousness, adolescent rehabilitation, community outreach initiatives and research in the fields of stroke, brain injury and spinal cord injury will continue to expand in this new setting.
The seasoned team of therapists working at the Orlando Health Advanced Rehabilitation Institute specialize in care for patients with complex neurological and musculoskeletal conditions including spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, stroke, amputation and major multiple trauma.
“We work with people during some of the most difficult days of their lives,” said Orlando Health Advanced Rehabilitation Institute chief quality officer Dr. Jason Atienza. “Even with challenging medical diagnoses, we’re amazed at the progress our patients make during their stay and the goals they’re able to accomplish with our care team at their side.”
The rehabilitation program, recognized by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, will be the first freestanding comprehensive medical rehabilitation facility in Orange County, Florida. Moving the current program, based inside the Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical Center (ORMC), will provide opportunities to grow and expand.
“Although our initial operation will begin with 54 inpatient beds, this facility gives us the capability to nearly double capacity in the future,” said senior vice president of ambulatory and post-acute services Greg Ohe. “The population in Central Florida is rapidly growing and part of our commitment to the community is to meet their increasing needs.”
The Orlando Health Advanced Rehabilitation Institute is located at 1300 Hempel Ave. in Ocoee.