Chive & Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Yield: 8 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Serving Size: about 3/4 cup
Active Time: 20 minutes
Active Time (mins): 20
Total Time: 40 minutes
To Make Ahead: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with tangy buttermilk and fresh snipped chives instead of butter.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh chives
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir buttermilk, chives, and pepper into the potatoes.
Per serving: 151 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 581 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.