Recipe: Classic Chicken Soup
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Total Time (mins): 60
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate, without the noodles and parsley, for up to 3 days. To serve, stir in noodles and reheat, then stir in parsley.
Classic chicken noodle soup gets a healthy upgrade with low-sodium chicken broth, whole-wheat egg noodles and tons of vegetables. To get a homemade stock flavor using store-bought broth, we simmer bone-in chicken breasts in the broth before adding the rest of the soup ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add thyme and bay leaf; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and chicken. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook, turning the chicken occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, 20 to 22 minutes. Skim any foam from the surface as the chicken cooks. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred.
- Meanwhile, add celery, carrots and peas to the pot; return to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 10 minutes. Stir in the shredded chicken, salt, pepper and noodles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Per serving: 291 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 553 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Vitamin C (21% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.