Recipe: Mango-Coconut Ice Cream Pie
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 40 minutes
Total Time (mins): 340
To Make Ahead: Once frozen, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 1 week. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
Equipment: 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish)
In this healthy ice cream pie recipe, crumbled gingersnaps make an easy and tasty crust for the mango and coconut filling made with nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt.
- 2 cups coarsely crumbled gingersnaps
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 ripe mango, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut flakes
Filling & Topping
- To prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Process cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and process until well combined. Using your fingertips or the back of a spoon, press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake until just set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Whip cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until starting to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in yogurt.
- Clean out the bowl of the food processor, add banana and process until pureed. Gently fold the banana puree, mango and coconut extract into the yogurt-cream.
- Spread the flavored yogurt-cream mixture into the cooled crust. Top with the coconut. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours. To serve, let the pie stand at room temperature until softened slightly, about 15 minutes, before slicing.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- To toast coconut, place coconut in a small dry skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes, or spread in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350°F until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 301 calories; 16 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrate; 12 g added sugars; 22 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv)
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.