Yield: 6 servings, 6 tots each
Serving Size: 6 tots
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 3/4 hours
Total Time (mins): 205
To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 4, freeze in a single layer, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To bake, place frozen tots on a baking sheet, coat with cooking spray and bake at 400°F for 35-45 minutes.
Cauliflower stands in for potato in this taterless cauliflower tot recipe. Cauliflower is mashed, then mixed with cheese and given a crispy breadcrumb coating before being baked. These healthy cauliflower tater tots make a delicious side dish, appetizer or movie-night snack. Dip them in regular ketchup or make a spicy dipping sauce: Combine 1/3 cup ketchup with 2 tablespoons sriracha chile sauce and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and broken into small florets
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 3/4 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (panko)
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and boil until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain in a colander, shaking to remove excess water. Return the cauliflower to the pot and dry over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a potato masher, mash the cauliflower until it resembles clumpy rice. Transfer to a large bowl to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Stir flour and cheese into the cooled cauliflower. Season with pepper and salt. Stir in egg whites. Line an 8-inch-square baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to hang over the edges. Spread the cauliflower mixture into the pan, compacting it into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until very cold, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread breadcrumbs on a plate. Gently turn the cauliflower mixture out onto a cutting board, removing the plastic wrap. Cut it into 36 evenly sized pieces. Roll the pieces in the breadcrumbs, turning to coat all sides. Place on the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Coat the tots with cooking spray. Bake, turning once halfway through, until browned, 35 to 45 minutes.
Per serving: 86 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 289 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value)
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.