Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Active Time: 35 minutes
Active Time (mins): 35
Total Time: 35 minutes
This vegetarian beet, fennel and potato hash recipe is a healthy side dish for simple baked chicken. Or top it with a fried egg or flakes of smoked trout.
- 2 cups diced peeled beets (1/2 inch; about 2 medium)
- 2 cups diced russet potatoes (1/2 inch)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced fennel bulb plus 1/4 cup chopped fronds for garnish
- 1 cup diced shallots
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add beets, cover and steam for 4 minutes. Add potatoes, cover and steam until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add diced fennel and shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the steamed vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are starting to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in salt and pepper and fennel fronds, if using.
Per serving: 189 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 8 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 762 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.