Recipe: Salmon Cakes with Olives, Lemon & Dill
Yield: 8 servings, 1 salmon cake each
Serving Size: 1 salmon cake
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time (mins): 30
To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 3, cool completely, then wrap airtight and freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat at 450°F for 20 minutes or wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
Studded with briny olives, bright lemon zest and a touch of dill, this healthy, easy salmon cake recipe is perfect for dinner and for freezing. Whether you serve the salmon cakes on a bun like a burger with lettuce and tomato or paired with a mixed green salad, try a dollop of reduced-fat mayo mixed with lemon juice on top.
- 4 scallions, quartered
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill or thyme
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds wild salmon, skinned and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Place scallions, olives and dill (or thyme) in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Working in 3 or 4 batches, pulse salmon just 2 or 3 times to finely chop, but not puree. Add the chopped salmon to the bowl; gently mix until combined. (Alternatively, finely chop salmon, scallions, olives and herbs by hand before combining with lemon zest, salt and pepper.) Divide the mixture into 8 patties, about 3 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours) before cooking.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 salmon cakes and cook until browned on both sides and just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total. Repeat with the remaining oil and salmon cakes.
Per serving: 214 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (16% daily value)
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Access this Recipe & Others in the Digital Edition
The recipes in this collection provide vibrant & delicious options for a healthy lifestyle.