Gynecologic Cancer Patient Resources
The Gynecologic Cancer Center at the Orlando Health Cancer Institute strives to give you all the support you need as you receive treatment. As part of this, we provide the following support services and resources. These services can help you participate in your care and improve your quality of life.
Licensed registered dietitians in the Cancer Institute’s Nutrition Department provide nutrition education and work with your medical team to support you before, during and after your cancer treatment.
Our nutrition services include meal plans tailored to your needs, education on healthy eating for cancer prevention, education on vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements in cancer care, management of side effects relating to treatment, temporary tube feeding for nutritional support during treatment, and continued follow-up visits for healthy living after treatment.
Cancer Support Community
Genetics play a major role in 5-10% of all cancers, according to the National Cancer Institute. The Genetic Counseling Program at the Orlando Health Cancer Institute is dedicated to helping you and your family learn about your potential risk for a hereditary form of cancer so you can make informed decisions about your healthcare.
We provide genetic counseling and testing to help individuals determine their risk for certain types of hereditary cancers and what steps they might need to take to manage those risks.
We believe that conventional Western medicine is the best approach to combating cancer and other diseases, but adding services that treat the whole person can enhance healing and well-being. Our Integrative Medicine Program helps patients become active participants in improving their physical, emotional and social health through research-supported, evidence-based complementary therapies.
Examples of these complementary therapies include:
- Acupuncture. Practitioners stimulate specific points on the body, most often by inserting thin needles through the skin.
- Oncology massage therapy. This practice includes many different techniques to manually manipulate the soft tissues of the body.=
- Meditation. Most meditation techniques, such as mindfulness meditation or transcendental meditation, involve ways in which a person learns to focus attention.
- Relaxation techniques. Breathing exercises, guided imagery and progressive muscle relaxation are designed to enhance the body's natural relaxation response.
- Tai chi and qi gong. These traditional Chinese medicine practices combine specific movements or postures, coordinated breathing and mental focus.
- Yoga. Used for health purposes, certain types of yoga typically combine physical postures or movement, breathing techniques, and meditation.
- Hypnotherapy. This type of therapy is used to reprogram the subconscious mind, which can be useful for behavior modification and controlling emotions.
Our Integrative Medicine Program also offers activities that allow the patient to take a break from the daily pace of life in a soothing space. High tea in the British tradition is served in elegant bone china cups each week. Another European custom is the labyrinth on the fourth floor of the Charles Lewis Pavilion, which is modeled after the one at Chartres Cathedral near Paris, France. The labyrinth is an ancient healing tool used as a walking meditation or an embodied prayer.
Clifford E. Graese Community Health Library
The Clifford E. Graese Community Health Library offers print and multimedia resources on:
- Disease-specific information
- Symptom management
- Psychosocial support
- Coping with a cancer diagnosis
You can check out health information materials as well as popular paperbacks for leisure reading.
A cancer diagnosis can be an overwhelming experience. That’s why we provide personal nurse navigators. Nurse navigators establish and maintain communication between patients, families, physicians and the healthcare system. Your nurse navigator will stay with you throughout your entire cancer journey, assisting you with entry into the cancer care system and identifying any barriers that may exist.
Patient and Family Counseling
The Patient and Family Counseling Department at the Cancer Institute provides educational programs, support groups and counseling for patients and their families.
NAVIGATE YOUR HEALTH
Find a Cancer Physician
Find a Cancer Physician
Meet our doctors who specialize in the full range of cancer care. Our team of experts has experience in a variety of specialty areas. Together, we provide comprehensive evaluation, diagnosis and treatment options.
If you are a patient at Orlando Health Cancer Institute, our free online patient portal provides an easy and secure way to manage your health information. Reach us from any location at a time that’s convenient for you.
Need to talk with a doctor, but don’t want to leave your home? Try our virtual visit (telehealth) option to connect with a physician from your phone, tablet or computer.