Welcome from the Program Director
Welcome to the Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency program at Orlando Health Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies. We have one of the best OB/GYN training programs in the nation. Our program blends a dedicated team of faculty/residents with a large, diverse patient population to provide a wealth of learning opportunities. Furthermore, this occurs in a beautiful, state of the art women’s hospital. The result is a high volume, high acuity OB/GYN residency program, that provides an unparalleled educational experience for residents.
Our programs mission is to educate, inspire and encourage Obstetrics and Gynecology physicians to practice medicine that improves the health and quality of life for the individuals and communities which we serve.
Our program aims to:
- Foster a culture that integrates current and innovative medical education opportunities and inspires change in medical practices through teaching. Our practice promotes mentorship, education, emotional and professional support that helps us grow into confident and intellectually curious physicians.
- Cultivate a learning community of well-rounded, humanistic, humble, optimistic, and compassionate physicians. Educate, mentor and lead through research processes that allow us to evaluate and improve patient care via evidence-based practice.
- Create, nurture, and sustain a global and inclusive learning community where unique goals and passions drive innovative solutions to meet the needs of our patients and colleagues. Our physicians work with local, national, and global communities to identify medical and resource needs of the communities we serve.
Furthermore, our institution has developed innovative programs to challenge and enrich residents:
- Morbidly Adherent Placenta/ Placenta Accreta Spectrum team to treat pregnant patients with placenta accreta spectrum disorders.
- Global Health Track to provide exposure about OB/GYN training outside the U.S.
- Women’s Intensive Care Unit
- Fetal Care Center with intrapartum fetal surgery program
Upon completion of your training at Orlando Health Winnie Palmer Hospital, you will be more than ready to pursue a career as a generalist OB/GYN, or further subspecialty training in a fellowship. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology offers a four-year program, which is accredited for seven positions at each level by the Residency Review Committee of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Shannon Scott-Schellhammer, MD
OB/GYN Residency Program Director
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Orlando Health Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies