The Orlando Health Sports Physical Therapy Residency is an official candidate, by the American Physical Therapy Association, as a post-professional residency program while completing the pre-accreditation process. We are currently the only residency program located in Central Florida, for physical therapists in a sports specialty practice.
The mission of the Orlando Health Sports Physical Therapy Residency is to develop highly skilled clinicians that possess the ability to produce consistently superior outcomes, leading to the optimization of health, quality of life, and performance for the athletes within our community. Additionally, this program will utilize our organization’s all-encompassing values of respect, ownership, mindfulness, superior communication, positive attitude, and exceptional patient care to establish innovative leaders within the field of sports physical therapy
Curriculum and Training
Our rigorous sports residency curriculum implements a balanced combination of educational and academic training, along with multiple clinical and on-field opportunities, in conjunction with one-on-one mentoring during live patient care, located at one of our affiliated Orlando Health outpatient clinics. Residents will have the opportunity to work directly with the Orlando City Soccer Club as part of their practical experience, in addition to our numerous local high school affiliations that will allow the resident to develop their skill set within the area of acute injury management.
A typical week includes: approximately 32 hours of direct patient care in one of our sports clinics, individual one-on-one mentoring hours, multiple on-field experiences with affiliated teams and high schools, sports medicine physician rounding, didactic/academic coursework, participation in journal clubs, participation with special interest group meetings, participation in research opportunities.
The sports residency duration is 12 months, beginning in March. Requirements for successful completion include passing oral, practical and written exams, live patient exams, and completion of a relevant research component.
There is no tuition associated with the residency, and salary is based on 32 hour work week.
Residency Staff and Faculty
- Joel Riemenschneider, PT, DPT, MBA
- Todd Furman, PT, DPT, SCS, ATC, CSCS
- Philip Agostinelli, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS, ATC
- Marissa Conrad, PT, MSPT, NCS, CBIS
- Matthew Hixon, PT, MSPT, SCS, CSCS
- Todd Maurer, PT, MSPT, CES
- Rodney Negrete, PT, DPT, CSCS
- Cory Price, PT, DPT, SCS, CSCS
- Daryl C. Osbahr, MD- Chief of sports medicine at Orlando Health, Chief medical director and head orthopedic team physician of the Orlando City Soccer Club, Orthopedic consultant for the Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, USA Baseball, US Soccer, PGA and LPGA, WWE, and the Orlando Ballet
- Harrison Youmans, MD- Team physician/medical consultant for the Orlando City Soccer Club, US Soccer, WWE, Atlanta Braves, Arnold Palmer Invitational
In order to qualify for application, you must be a graduate of an APTA-accredited program in physical therapy and hold a license of physical therapy in the state of Florida by the start of the program. You must also have one of the following designations for emergency response prior to beginning the residency:
- certified athletic trainer
- certified emergency responder (through the APTA sports section)
- licensed emergency medical technician
We are looking for a highly motivated clinician who is looking to develop advanced critical thinking skills, demonstrate attributes of a potential leader, and possess a strong desire to advance clinical knowledge, skills and abilities.
To apply for the sports residency, visit the Residency and Fellowship Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (RF-PTCAS). Applications are due December 31st.
For more information about residency programs, visit http://www.abptrfe.org/ResidencyPrograms/About/.
For more information on Orlando Health residency opportunities
For more information on Orlando Health Sports Physical therapy residency program Please contact:
Joel Riemenschneider, DPT, MBA
Outpatient Manager at Orlando Health
Orlando Health Sports Physical Therapy Residency Director
Tel: (321) 841-6165
Email: [email protected]