ORMC Emergency Care
Orlando Health is proud to be home to Central Florida's only Level One Trauma Center.
Not all hospitals are trauma centers, and not every emergency department can handle every emergency. Unlike an emergency department, a trauma center is a state-verified hospital facility capable of specialized treatment for the most critical injuries. In Central Florida, this care can only be received at Orlando Regional Medical Center (ORMC).
Level One Trauma Center Service Highlights:
- Multidisciplinary team of board certified doctors, nurses and technicians ready to treat the most severely injured patients, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Comprehensive trauma care services include dedicated, state-of-the-art trauma resuscitation rooms, operating rooms, radiology and advanced imaging.
- Air Care Team provides helicopter response and emergency trauma services to Orange County and nine other Central Florida counties.
- ORMC's Level One Trauma Center is designated as a Trauma Program of Excellence under the leadership of John T. Promes, MD and Donald A. Plumley, MD.
Designated Teaching Facility
ORMC is a statutory teaching facility, a designation granted to hospitals with at least 100 or more full-time equivalent resident physicians in seven or more different graduate medical education programs. The programs must be accredited by the Council of Postdoctoral Training of the American Osteopathic Association or the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
Some of the graduate medical education programs at ORMC that impact trauma care are:
- Emergency Medicine Residency
- General Surgery Residency
- OB/GYN Residency
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency
- Pediatric Residency
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship
- Pediatric Orthopedic Fellowship
- Surgical Critical Care Fellowship
Trauma Resuscitation BayOrlando Health’s Level One Trauma Center contains a Trauma Resuscitation Bay, where the most severely injured people from around Central Florida are brought for rapid diagnosis and immediate treatment for life-threatening injuries.
The Trauma Resuscitation Bay is fully equipped to conduct diagnostics, resuscitation and surgery. Resources such as portable X-ray machines and ultrasound equipment, a blood bank with universal-type blood and controlled temperature to prevent shock all ensure that the Trauma Resuscitation Bay is able to handle even the most complex situations at any moment.
Emergency Management and Safety
Emergency Preparedness is the driving force behind disaster management and our Emergency Preparedness team is dedicated to planning and training Orlando Health team members for the disasters of tomorrow. Orlando Health Emergency Preparedness Team’ continuous efforts include:
1. Maintaining a comprehensive emergency management plan that includes continuous training and education to detail the avenues we use to mitigate disasters and adverse effects.
2. Prepare for, respond to and expediently recover from any incident that could potentially impact Orlando Health operations and the people we care for within our facilities.
Special Services Please ask the nurse or a guest service’s representative for assistance with any of these special services:
- Spiritual care
- Social work
- Case management
- Overnight Accommodations