As a patient at the Orlando Health Cancer Institute, you have access to a variety of resources and support services. These services help us give whole-person care and address all your needs — including physical, emotional and social. By caring for more than just your medical condition, our team hopes to enhance your quality of life as you receive treatment.
Cancer Support Community
For more than 30 years, the Cancer Support Community has been dedicated to providing support, education and hope to those impacted by cancer. Orlando Health provides this program for everyone affected by cancer in the Central Florida area.
The Cancer Support Community’s goals perfectly complement Orlando Health’s goals: To ensure that all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action and sustained by community. The program addresses the social and emotional health of patients of all ages at any point in their cancer journey to ensure no one has to face cancer alone. It offers a network of personalized services and education at no charge to all affected by cancer.
We believe that conventional Western medicine is the best approach to combat cancer and other diseases, but adding services that treat the whole person can enhance healing and well-being. Our Integrative Medicine Program helps patients become active participants in improving their physical, emotional and social health through research-supported, evidence-based complementary therapies.
Examples of these complementary therapies include:
- Acupuncture. Practitioners stimulate specific points on the body, most often by inserting thin needles through the skin.
- Oncology massage therapy. This practice includes many different techniques to manually manipulate the soft tissues of the body.
- Meditation. Most meditation techniques, such as mindfulness meditation or transcendental meditation, involve ways in which a person learns to focus attention.
- Relaxation techniques. Breathing exercises, guided imagery and progressive muscle relaxation are designed to enhance the body's natural relaxation response.
- Tai chi and qi gong. These traditional Chinese medicine practices combine specific movements or postures, coordinated breathing and mental focus.
- Yoga. Used for health purposes, certain types of yoga typically combine physical postures or movement, breathing techniques, and meditation.
- Hypnotherapy. This type of therapy is used to reprogram the subconscious mind, which can be useful for behavior modification and controlling emotions.
Our Integrative Medicine Program also offers activities that allow the patient to take a break from the daily pace of life in a soothing space. High tea in the British tradition is served in elegant bone china cups each week. Another European custom is the labyrinth on the fourth floor of the Charles Lewis Pavilion, which is modeled after the one at Chartres Cathedral near Paris, France. The labyrinth is an ancient healing tool used as a walking meditation or an embodied prayer.
If you would like more information or a complete list of services, please contact the Integrative Medicine Program at (321) 841-5056 or email [email protected].