Principle Teaching Methods
Supervised Direct Patient Care Rounds: Fellows will be involved in initial consultations/ Triage/ admission and subsequent care of patients presenting to ORMC Emergency Room or admitted to ORMC. All fellows are supervised and staffed by full-time faculty pulmonary or critical care specialists.
- Pulmonary Consult Service
- Medical ICU service
- Procedure Service
- Thoracic Oncology Elective
- Thoracic Surgery Elective
- University of Florida Health Shands Hospital Lung Transplant Elective
- Florida Hospital Pulmonary Hypertension/ ECMO elective
Teaching Rounds: Teaching rounds will take place daily on patients being seen by the team comprising of fellow and/or the residents. After the fellow has examined the patient, formulated an assessment and treatment plan during the teaching round she/he will present the case to the attending teaching consultant. Both the Resident/fellow and the attending will examine the patient and discuss the fellow’s assessment and management plan on the basis of recent evidence and peer reviewed literature. Before the attending teaching round, the fellow will pre-round with the residents in the team and throughout the rotation, the fellow will supervise the team of residents and triage the patients.
Didactic educational activities of the consult service fellows will include the following:
- Monthly Pulmonary case conference – 1 hour every Month – Presenter – Pulmonary Fellows
- Monthly CCM Pulmonary SCC fellows Joint Case conference –1 hour every month – Presenter Pulmonary and CCM fellows
- Joint Pulmonary- CCM-ID conference – 1 hour a month. Presenter – Pulmonary, Critical Care and ID fellows
- Monthly Pulmonary Journal club – 1 hour / month – presenter- Pulmonary Fellow and attending
- Monthly Critical Care Journal Club - 1 hour / month – presenter- Critical Care or Pulmonary Fellows and attending
- Bi-Monthly chest Pathology conference – 1 hour/ month – Presenter – Specialty Attending of Pulmonary and Pathology departments as well as Pulmonary fellows and Pathology residents/ Fellows
- Bi-Monthly chest Radiology conference - 1 hour/2 month – Presenter- Specialty attending
- Pulmonary Fellows grand round – Monthly – 1 hour/month – Presenter- Pulmonary Fellow
- Core didactic series –5 hours/ Week – July, 2 hours/week –August and September, 1 Hour/Week – October-June. – Presenter attending faculty
- Fellows board Review – 1 hour a week – Presenter Attending Faculty
- Ambulatory care conference – 30 minute /week – January-June
- Thoracic oncology multidisciplinary tumor board – 1 hour/week- Presenter – Multiple faculty
In addition to the core curriculum conferences
- Special one to one rotation lectures on specific pulmonary pathology seen during rounds will be presented by the faculty two to three times per week
- Hands on training on Bronchoscopy, EBUS, Tube Thoracostomy, Central Venous Catheterization etc at ORMC Simulation lab
- Didactic teaching of basic principles, hands on training and direct close supervision of entire procedures of Central Venous Catheter inseeion, Arterial Line insertion, Thoracentesis, Tube Thoracostomy, tracheostomy management, PleurX catheter placement, General diagnostic bronchoscopy and interventional bronchoscopy.
- Essential Bronchoscopist Only learning Module
- New England Journal of Medicine Procedure Video Series
- Fellows will be expected to teach the residents about basic pulmonary topic. The attending faculty will facilitate and supervise such teaching.
- Fellows, under the mentorship of an attending, will take pulmonary and Critical Care didactic lectures for internal medicine residents.